- Please give our readers an introduction to your business.
Nancy Gould Photography is an independently owned photography studio based in Southborough that services Cape Cod, Boston, and Greater New England. We specialize in weddings, family and senior portraiture, and also corporate headshots.
- Please give us a brief description about yourself.
I live in Southborough, Massachusetts, but spend as much time on the beach at Cape Cod as possible with my husband, two children, and Benny – our rescue dog from Jamaica. I am obsessed with food, love to go to the Brimfield Antique Fair, and run the Boston Marathon to raise funds for Dana-Farber.
- How did you initially become involved in your industry?
I had always been a hobbyist, but never dreamed it could be a full time career. September 11th happened, September 13th I got laid off from my job, and September 15th I got married. I decided life was too short not to do something you love, so I enrolled full-time at the New England School of Photography.
- What three pieces of advice would you give to young business owners?
Make sure you love what you do because you will be spending a lot of time doing it! Also, keep in mind that there is a great deal of non-glamorous things that are involved with running your own business – taxes, contracts, paperwork. They aren’t very exciting but essential for keeping your business healthy!
- What would you say are the top three skills needed to be a successful small business owner?
A strong work ethic, superb customer service skills, and a willingness to never stop learning
- How do you go about marketing your business? What has been your most successful form of marketing?
I blog every single event, post on facebook and instagram, connect with other vendors, and advertise on a few select websites.
- What do you believe is the key to long term success?
Connecting with your clients and providing quality service and products.