Q :- Kindly give our readers an introduction to your business. Please include what your business is all about, in which city you are located and if you have offices in multiple locations/ cities.
Ans :- Victoria’s Cleaning Service is based out of Woodstock, Illinois. We service McHenry, Lake and Kane counties located in Northern Illinois. Our services include residential and commercial cleanings. We have serviced homes and offices in our area for over 10 years.
Q :- Kindly give us a brief description about yourself (it should include your brief educational or entrepreneurial background and list some of your major achievements).
Ans :-My name is Victoria Aguilar. I started Victoria’s Cleaning Service in 2005 and haven’t looked back since. I initially started servicing a handful of clients by myself. I quickly grew my personal services very fast by nothing more than client references. 10 years later my staff and I serve over 50 clients a month for both residential and commercial cleanings. We are still expanding and feel very proud and fortunate of our achievements.
Q :- What inspired you to (start a new business venture) or (to make significant changes in an existing business)? How did the idea for your business come about?
Ans :-I’ve always enjoyed being able to work for myself and provide for my family. When I think about it, I’ve never considered working for someone else. Starting my own cleaning company has taken a lot of work to get where I am today but in the end, it’s totally been worth it. I have a great group of staff and the best clients that anyone could ask for.
Q :- What three pieces of advice would you give to budding entrepreneurs?
1. Start simple – Trying to take on too much at one time was difficult. I quickly learned that trying to do everything myself was not the best ways to serve my clients. Hiring help or limiting my services allowed me to grow more efficiently and better serve my clients.
2. Stay consistent – Managing multiple clients was difficult at first. Many have special requirements and requests. With over 50 clients to serve each month, finding ways to keep my services consistent with their requests was a big task at hand. Once I figured this out, my customer retention is well above the projections. If you say you’re going to do something, do it.
3. Don’t give up – When I first started my cleaning company, I often would find myself overwhelmed or frustrated. I would question my ability or if pursuing my mission was still worth it. When these thoughts cross your mind, clear your thoughts and push through it. If you believe in your work, everything will work out. I look back now and realize these tests are what has built my company to what it is today.
Q :- What would you say are the top three skills needed to be a successful entrepreneur?
1. Self-management – Some people are just not meant to work for themselves. They enjoy working for others. As an entrepreneur, you have to be able to do many things without the help of others. Especially when you’re just starting out. Being able to manage yourself and your time to effectively generate income plays a big part in entrepreneurship.
2. Passion to succeed – It’s easier to give up than to succeed. This is why most startup businesses fail. When the going gets tough, you need to be able to dig deep and do what it takes to succeed
3. Be a people person – You need to learn to engage with people. Most entrepreneurs have to be sales people as well. Learn to talk with strangers and understand how people think. Don’t be afraid to break the ice and reach out. The worst thing anyone has ever told me was no.
Q :- How many hours do you work a day on average?
Ans :-Most people say too much. I love what I do and work most days of the week. Generally, I’m working 10 to 12 hours a day.
Q :- To what do you most attribute your success?
Ans :-My success is attributed to hard work, consistency, and competitive pricing.
Q :- How do you go about marketing your business? What has been your most successful form of marketing?
Ans :-Hands down, the #1 successful form of marketing has been word of mouth. If you do great work, your customers will let everyone know. Alternatively, internet marketing by Moridia has helped me generate many leads.
Q :- Where did your organizations funding/capital come from and how did you go about getting it? How did you obtain investors for your venture?
Ans :-I am 100% self-funded. I’ve literally built my company from what little I had in my bank to what it is today with no more than hard work.
Q :- What is the best way to achieve long-term success?
Ans :-Long term success is achieved by making your clients happy. You can’t just sell them on your service. You need to develop ways to retain clients. Consistency and flexibility has greatly helped with my customer retention.
Q :- Where you see yourself and your business in 5 – 10 years?
Ans :-I still see myself working within my company and continuing to grow. My 5-year plan is to double our current customer base.
Optional Questions –
Q :- If you had the chance to start your career over again, what would you do differently?
Ans :-I would have hired an accountant sooner to manage my finances. Other than that, I’ve learned a lot from my career and wouldn’t change a thing. It’s allowed me to be better at what I do.
Q :- How has being an entrepreneur affected your family life?
Ans :-It used to be tough separating my work life from family life. I’ve learned to manage work while still managing time to enjoy my family.
Q :- What is your greatest fear, and how do you manage fear?
Ans :-My greatest fear was not succeeding. I’ve learned that with perseverance, I can overcome anything and no longer fear failure.
Q :- How did you decide on the location for your business?
Ans :-I decided to work based off of my current living location. I know the community and try to participate in local events as much as possible. This has helped me grow and reach customers.
Q :- Do you believe there is some sort of pattern or formula to becoming a successful entrepreneur?
Ans :-Every business is different so I assume patterns would change. The winning formula is to create short and long term goals and do whatever is needed to accomplish them. Keep your goals realistic.
Q :- How can you prevent mistakes or do damage control?
Ans :-Mistakes will be made. There’s no way around that. Learn from your mistakes and fix them. Don’t just put a band aid over things. Go above and beyond to make it right and change your operation so it does not happen again.
Q :- What are your hobbies? What do you do in your non-work time?
Ans :-I love watching my daughters grow. There’s nothing more satisfying to me than watching them turn into young women.
Q :- What makes you happy?
Ans :-My family.
Q :- What sacrifices have you had to make to be a successful entrepreneur?
Ans :-Time. I’ve sacrificed many hours to get where I am today.
About Victoria’s Cleaning Service – Victoria’s Cleaning Service offers exceptional & thorough cleaning solutions for residential & commercial settings. One of the most reputable janitorial companies in northern Illinois. Upfront pricing and services are 100% satisfaction guaranteed. All cleaning supplies & equipment available, unless you request. Customize your service to fit your needs. Get a FREE in house or office estimate.
Company Name: Victoria’s Cleaning Service
Address: 522 McHenry Ave, Woodstock Illinois 60098
Contact: (815) 814-5487