1. Kindly give us an introduction to your business.
Ans : Fonthill Marketplace Dental is a new dental office serving the growing Fonthill Pelham region. We offer comprehensive general, family and cosmetic dentistry in a warm, caring and comfortable environment. Our office is accessible and conveniently located in the newly built Fonthill Marketplace Plaza on Highway 20.
2. What inspired you to become a dentist and open your dental practice?
Ans : I wanted a career that would both challenge me and allow me to help others. As a kid I always had a positive experience at the dentist. I also saw the difference my mom made as a personal support worker and how she would brighten people’s day. Being a dentist was a good fit.
3. What three pieces of advice would you give to starting dentist?
- Join a dental society. Meet colleagues, connect with other professionals in your area and ask questions. It’s a great way to learn and build a network.
- Work in multiple offices, especially when you’re starting out. You’ll learn different methods and approaches to solving problems.
- Find out what type of work you enjoy most and take continuing education in those areas. You’ll enjoy your job much more if you focus on what you love.
4. What would you say are the top three skills needed to be a successful dentist?
- Good listening skills. Really hearing what a patient’s concerns are will make them feel more comfortable in your chair, relieve their anxiety and ultimately help you provide a more effective diagnosis and treatment plan.
- Patience. Being a dentist is challenging and multifaceted. Treatment outcomes don’t always happen the way you want, you need to problem solve on the fly and the work itself can be stressful, all while caring for people in a customer service role. Patience is essential.
- Organization. If you do things in proper order the job will be easier, you’ll make less mistakes and minimize the amount of stress involved. As the saying goes – if you fail to plan you plan to fail.
5. What do you most attribute your success to?
Ans : My dad instilled a sense of perseverance in me ever since I was young, so I’ve always had that inner drive to stay focused. Empathy is important too. It helps that I love my job and genuinely care about people.
6. What is the best way to achieve long-term success?
Ans : Build a good team. Growing up playing soccer I learned the importance of having a strong team behind you. Treat your employees like family and they will extend that care to your patients.
7. Where you see yourself and your business in 5 – 10 years?
Ans : We’re a new office and I look forward to growing with the Fonthill Pelham community. I especially love working with kids and the opportunity to care for them as their oral health needs change – it’s exciting to watch them grow from their first tooth, to learning to brush their teeth, braces, and so on.
8. What motivates you?
Ans : My curiosity and love of learning. I thrive on the challenge of starting a dental practice from scratch and finding new ways to help it grow, while serving the local community.
9. How do you define success?
Ans : When employees and patients tell me they feel like family and they look forward to walking through our doors, I know I’m doing something right. I want everyone to have a positive experience in the office. That starts with taking care of employees and providing the best care for our patients.