- Kindly give our readers an introduction to your business. Please include what your business is all about, in which city you are located and if you have offices in multiple locations/ cities. –
US Business Funding offers line of credit, equipment financing, term loans, and factoring for small to medium sized businesses across the country. We offer these services to businesses in all 50 states.
- Kindly give us a brief description about yourself (it should include your brief educational or entrepreneurial background and list some of your major achievements).
– My name is Peter Ribeiro and I worked in the banking industry since I was 14 years old. I have worked in the United States, Poland, and Portugal. I graduated from the University of California, Riverside with a Business Degree. I am Portuguese and have 3 brothers and 1 sister and I live in Newport Beach, CA.
- What inspired you to (start a new business venture) or (to make significant changes in an existing business)? How did the idea for your business come about?
– I had a vision to create a great culture and help out small businesses. I found while I was working at the banks that many small businesses would not qualify for loans. Usually, we declined 80% of business loans whether it was a complete decline or only getting the customer part of the funds that they were looking for. I started US Business Funding to help these customers get the funding they needed.
- What three pieces of advice would you give to budding entrepreneurs?
In order to be an entrepreneur you need to put in hard work, build strong relationships, and love what it is that you do each and every single day.
- What would you say are the top three skills needed to be a successful entrepreneur?
You must have an extremely strong work ethic, understand marketing and how to grow your business, and be partially delusional to the cause.
- How many hours do you work a week on average?
- What do you most attribute your success?
My parents. They were never satisfied and always pushed me to work harder. If I got a 98% on an exam they asked me why I did not get a 100%. They taught me to never settle and to always strive to be better and improve in all areas of life.
- How do you go about marketing your business? What has been your most successful form of marketing?
Our most successful form of marketing has been digital marketing. As the market changes I listen to what clients’ needs are and market accordingly to help better position my business.
- Where did your organizations funding/capital come from and how did you go about getting it?
How did you obtain investors for your venture?
US Business Funding was all self-funded. I flourished as a sales rep and I have always invested 75% of what I make back into the business. It’s amazing how compounding interest works for investments.
- What is the best way to achieve long-term success?
Make sure that you always keep improving and keep up with technology and market changes. Be sure to never take your foot of the gas pedal. Reaching the top is easy, staying at the top is what is the difficult part.
- Where you see yourself and your business in 5 – 10 years?
Continuing to own and operate US Business Funding and working within real estate. I also have real estate portfolios that I manage and I love the real estate world.
- Excluding yours, what company or business do you admire the most?
Recommended Questions –
- How important have good employees been to your success?
Good employees are the lifeblood of our business. Without them we would be nowhere and they help to promote the success that US Business Funding has seen.
- How long do you stick with an idea before giving up?
I never give up. No matter how dreary things look, I never give up.
- What motivates you?
My family and providing for each and every one of their needs.
- How do you generate new ideas?
It really just comes naturally, but I am sure to keep track of my new ideas for use now or in the future.
- How do you define success?
How close your are with your family, how much time you have to spend, and the relationships that you surround yourself with.
- How do you build a successful customer base?
I make sure to take care of my employees and in turn they take care of our customers.
- What is your favorite aspect of being an entrepreneur?
Time. I love the idea that I control my time and where I expend energy.
- What has been your most satisfying moment in business?
This would have to be when I sold part of US Business Funding to a private equity firm. It showed me I built something very special.
- What do you feel is the major difference between entrepreneurs and those who work for someone else?
Entrepreneurs work harder than anyone else.
- What kind of culture exists in your organization?
How did you establish this tone and why did you institute this particular type of culture?
If you treat your employees with the idea that you are lucky to have them, and they have helped you with the lifestyle you have, instead of thinking that they are lucky to work for you and should cater to you, then you will be successful. I do not have an office and sit in the pit selling with the team daily versus siting behind a glass office yelling at everyone to do better.
- In one word, characterize your life as an entrepreneur.
Optional Questions –
- If you had the chance to start your career over again, what would you do differently?
- How has being an entrepreneur affected your family life?
In the beginning I sacrificed a lot to get where I am at, but now it is beautiful because I have the time to enjoy life.
- What is your greatest fear, and how do you manage fear?
Not staying at the top.
- How did you decide on the location for your business?
The business started in my apartment with a server and two computers with a very close friend. We did anything and everything to get the business off of the ground.
- Do you believe there is some sort of pattern or formula to becoming a successful entrepreneur?
It really boils down to hard work. Everyone has the IQ and it just depends on if you want it or not. I am not very smart, but I work very hard and I understand people and how they work.
- If you could talk to one person from history, who would it be and why?
My grandfather who has dementia. He was a genius and my inspiration. He was truly an inspiring and hard-working man.
- Who has been your greatest inspiration?
My dad. He sacrificed everything to get me to the United States and give me the opportunity to make it, so I did not want to let him down.
- What book has inspired you the most?
(OR what is your favorite book?) I do not read books actually.
- What are some of the biggest mistakes you’ve made?
Sometimes I have let my emotions get in the way and stopped thinking about certain decisions before coming to the best course of action to take in certain situations.
- How can you prevent mistakes or do damage control?
Be logical, take your time.
- What are your hobbies?
What do you do in your non-work time? I love traveling and being with my family.
- What makes you happy?
- What sacrifices have you had to make to be a successful entrepreneur?
Giving up family time and time with friends.